Thursday, August 7, 2008

Power Tools

For my 38th birthday, I bought myself a Craftsman power drill (19.2 volts) with two batteries that charge in an hour. Because what good is power if it doesn't last, right?

When I asked several handy, practical friends which power screwdriver to get, the first question they asked was: who's it for? Me, I responded, somewhat surprised. Is it so odd for a woman to want power tools for her birthday? There are plenty of girly things to do with a power tool, like drilling holes for studs to hook heavy picture frames and full-length mirrors. And assembling simple furniture and shelves to store and display the brass and turquoise jewelry I craft. Yes, traditionally my husband has been the one to assemble furniture, but as his career has grown more demanding, I've assumed more of the supposed manly jobs. And really, how complicated is a power driver? Sewing machines seem more complicated, and yet women have managed to use them for a century or two.

No comments: