Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Napoleon Invades

My youngest son's pet name on this site will be Napoleon (as that is his nickname at home). I used Picasa (free google picture program) to layer a photo of Napoleon onto a photo of the pre-Napoleon family threesome visiting the Viking Museum in Dublin. [SEE PHOTO BELOW] Primitive yes, but cool nonetheless.

My eldest son is really into military history, weapons, and scenario war games. He frequently quizzes me on the Vikings and other Invading Hordes.

Roman armies, having bested much of the known world for centuries, are, of course, fascinating to a young boy. I studied Roman history but apparently I didn't study the good stuff; I know diddy about legions and other troop formations. Mommy had to go and waste her time analyzing legal documents and historiography. Fortunately, I paid attention in Mythology class -- otherwise my son and I would have nothing engagingly Ancient to talk about. (Aside: When eldest son complains about the injustices of life -- "Mommy, you're ruining my life!" he once whined -- I tell him myths, such as the story of Prometheus. Were I truly mean, I would then make liver for dinner. But alas, my husband is a vegetarian, so no can do. And I guess, ultimately, I'm softcore.)

No comments: